We have a bumper crop of strawberries this year. I planted the patch the first summer we lived here. That was 3 years ago. It is finally producing lots and lots of berries. Big juicy ones too. We’ve had strawberry shortcake, smoothies, salads, and I’ve even frozen a few bags for later. We were getting a little tired of the usual berry dishes, so I tried to come up with something a little different. I got the idea for this dish after making a salad with tuna, arugula, basil, cheese, almonds, and strawberries with a lemon/olive oil dressing for lunch one day.
It’s a great pasta dish for summer. It is light and hearty all at the same time. It also has sweet, savory, and tart notes all in one dish, which will make your taste buds smile. At least they made mine smile. The kids approved too.
Salmon and Pasta with Strawberry Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 Salmon filet
- 1 lb of your favorite pasta (I used Angel Hair, but any kind will work)
- Olive Oil (a few tablespoons for sauteing and drizzling on the salmon)
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup cream (half and half works too)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Salt, pepper and oil the salmon to taste. Bake until flaky (about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your filet and your oven). You can also grill the salmon if you like.
- While the fish is cooking, prepare the other ingredients. When the fish is done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat about 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a saute pan.
- Saute onion until it’s translucent.
- Add garlic, cook about 30 seconds.
- Add basil, cook a few seconds until it wilts.
- Add wine, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a bubble and then reduce heat.
- Mix a small ladle full of the pasta water with the cornstarch. Then whisk the cornstarch mixture into the pan, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Add cream, lemon juice, and zest.
- Toss with pasta and cook for a few minutes to finish cooking the pasta.
- Remove from heat.
- Add flaked salmon and strawberries and toss again.
- Serve immediately with fresh grated pecorino cheese, fresh basil, and lemon slices.